Friday, November 30, 2007

Steppin' Back

Hey to my girls I'm connecting with through this blog!! Miss you.

Life has been crazy lately. I think its the December curse for all college students! Lots of projects and papers, hours and hours at Gap, friends just turning up the drama notch to full throttle, plus all the general hustle and bustle of the Holidays! For some reason, this remains my favorite time of year, though lately I've been asking myself why?! I guess I can't put aside how much I love the Christmas lights hanging in my dorm and the mariah carey christmas playing in the background right now, or the cocoa and reading of Luke 2 that my roomate and I enjoy at night.

I get frustrated at how much I get distracted in this season. It seems to happen year after year. There's tests to take, presents to buy, the thought of a holiday love, and many other things that fight so hard for my attention. No wonder I feel like my relationship with Christ isn't on fire when I'd rather finish that paper tonight than spend some extra time with Him. I had to take a step back last night and evaluate it all. I don't want this season to go by again with my King on the sidelines. My heart isn't full, because it's full of all the wrong things. It's time to straighten this all out. One of my favorite quotes by C.S. Lewis sums this all up...

"The Christian way is different: harder and easier. Christ says, 'GIVE ME ALL. I dont' want so much of your time and so much of your money and so much of your work: I WANT YOU. I have not come to torment your natural self, but TO KILL IT. No half-measures are any good. I dont' want to cut off a branch here and a branch there, I WANT TO HAVE THE WHOLE TREE DOWN. i dont want to drill the tooth, or crown it, or stop it, but TO HAVE IT OUT. Hand over the whole natural self, all the desires which you think innocent as well as the ones you think wicked--the whole outfit. I will give you a newself instead. In fact, I will give you MYSELF: MY OWN WILL BECOME YOURS.'"

2 comments:

Amy said...

What day do you come home then? Praying for you too!

Unknown said...

well i wont be in elkhart til the 20th, but i'll be in the city for a few days with my mom, doin some Christmas in the city shopping and stuff. plus we have some special Christmas things at Sunshine that week. HOWEVER i will be home til jan 14! ohhh i can't wait