Monday, February 18, 2008

Thoughts from the desk of Houghton 215

I really would appreciate those 20* back that were stolen from Chicago yesterday. Right now I should probably be bundling up to head out through the cold streets of the Chi to a currently strictly enforced dress-code at my workplace. HOWEVER I have no desire to get out in the cold nor a desire to change out of my sweatpants and hoodie, so I sit all the longer at my currently cluttered desk. Oh the joys of a Monday afternoon in the life of a college student.

Two weekends ago was Sunshine's Winter Retreat. Six of us leaders ventured out with about 25 of our 7-11 year olds. We packed into three vans and landed in a snowy Allegan, MI at camp Beechpoint. The weekend consisted of some sleeding, lots of relays and games in the gym, some chapel time, a movie, and all too little sleep. Our theme for the weekend was "Facing the Giants." Saturday night we split into small groups and were able to discuss with the kids what the giants in their lives were and how they could conquer those. One of my greatest joys came as one of the little girls I spend time with on a regular basis was able to share her faith to another girl. The gospel is alive an active!! How encouraging it was to see seeds that have been planted begin to bear fruit!! Praise the Lord!


This past weekend, two of my closest friends, Kelsey, and Kira and I headed up to a retreat in Wisconsin. We were asked by a church to do some babysitting for them during their sessions. How exciting it was to find out that we actually were staying in a place much like a hotel. We took bubblebaths and watched movies and had some fun girl time. Much needed... :) While we were there, I stepped back and observed the family structure of many of the people there. The majority of the ppl I was around were young couples, often with their first child. Many of them were multi-ethnic relationships. It was really neat to see from the outside the dynamics of that play out. My friends and I were in charge of the lil rascals, 3 yrs and under. It just made me wonder what kind of mom I'll be like someday. I've been blessed to be able to watch some amazing parenting skills in the last few years and I can only hope that my future husband and I will be able to imitate even a fraction of those.


This weekend I'm going home. It seems like I haven't been home forever, though it was only Christmas Break. Either way, I miss my family and my lil nephews. One of them just turned six and about an hour before his bday party he asked his mom, "Is aunt Brittney going to be here?" She had to tell him no and he was upset. Oh I love that little guy. We'll get our fun in soon D-man!
Today I had a really encouraging talk with a few of my ladies. The subject?: the rarely talked about subject of males :) As I've journeyed along in this whole process of dating, I've hit some bumps, had some highs and lows, and figured a lot out... though I'm so far from getting a grasp on it (obviously). At this point in my life, I've developed such a contentment in the Lord. Yet, thinking about my future I can't help but wonder... will a man and a family someday be part of my life? I pray the answer is yes, but who knows!! One of my friends reminded me of a statement I used to hold fast to, yet had forgotten about recently. As we were discussing a certain boy and wondering if he was "the one," she said, "Brittney, you've always told me that if it's not him, get excited because the Lord has one that's even better out there!" Talk about needing to take some of your own medicine! Its so true though. It's so easy to get caught up on one person... he's so perfect, or he has it all, or whatever goofy cliches come up. Yet, I know that God has prepared for me, an amazing man that is perfect just for me. So, if this one isn't it, the true one will even one up this one! It definitely takes the weight off my shoulders, or my mind in this case. Just waitin' for the top notch guy, and until then, I'm making sure I'm in love with a Higher Love!
"A woman's heart should be so lost in the heart of God that a man must seek God to find it."

No comments: