Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Bright Pink Blush

This Holiday Season was great. I spent lots of time with those I love. My nephews and I have had fun experimenting with the new Wii and cuddling up for Disney Channel movies. Thrown in there is hangin out with my Elkhart friends (God bless ya :) ), lots of girl time with my mom, and even a little reunion at the Cove.

For New Years, our family drove up to Grand Rapids to see my grandparents and uncle that was visiting from San Diego. Between my goofy brothers, energy-filled nephews, and I, we usually can thrown a pretty good party. By a Rost party of course I mean eating and a football game. The day usually consists of a big meal and then the big separation... the men crash in the living room for the big Michigan game and the girls sit, talk, and drink coffee. A piece of mom's pie after the food has settled makes the holiday complete.

This year my grandma really struggled. She has alzheimers and its really beginning to show. As I sat and held her hand she knew it was me... she asked questions that were relevant... though she asked them a few times that afternoon. Yet, she just couldn't get the name thing down. For the day I was Gillian, my 9 year old cousin in Cali. I sat looking at her fragile figure and knew that it would do no good to correct. She sipped her coffee, ate the little cookie that should have been passed by because of her diabetes, and looked at me, holding intently onto every word I said. My grandma is so beautiful, so elegant and pretty to spite the wrinkles. She still holds so tightly to her personal appearance, making me laugh as she asks me to curl her hair or do her makeup. That bright pink blush on her cheeks always sits right on the ends of her smile. I still remember growing up how we used to take our bubble baths at night then sit at the dinning room table in robes (usually I had to borrow moms) sipping tea (which I faked that I liked just so I could share that moment). I can still remember the smell of their house as I grew up. All the way up in Elpena, Michigan, that was my favorite lakehouse to visit. All these memories went through my head as I sat with her this New Years Day, and it didn't matter that she didn't call me Britty like normal. I saw my Pops (Gpa) walk up to her and she grabbed his hand, as if they were new lovers, holding hands for the first time. Her love overflows and its so sad to see a disease morph her into someone I dont know and eventually turn me into someone she doesn't know. I don't understand things like this, and I know I probably never will. I just pray my grandma is happy, whether that be from holding my grandpa's hand, sneaking that cookie, or the bright pink blush. I love that bright pink blush.

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

Hey Britt! (Jeff says, "Hi Buttney.") :)

Love your blog, girl. We laughed at your comment about your grandma's bright pink blush. You have a way with words. :)

Have a God-filled day jumping through puddles in Chi-town. Maybe we can jump the creek and see the falls when you come out. :)

Be blessed today.
Love, Ade (and Jeff too, cause he's here looking over my shoulder as I type...)